In our house we love, love, love legume soups! Gala’s Dehydrated Split Pea Soup is a perfect example of it. Most of you already know that legumes are generally good for you, but did you know of these awesome benefits they offer to our bodies?
1. Lower Cholesterol – Legumes help reduce blood cholesterol since it contains high levels of soluble fiber. Lowering your cholesterol levels reduces your risk of heart disease and stroke by keeping your arteries clean.
2. Heart Health – Several studies have shown that eating high fiber foods like split peas reduces your risk of heart disease. They are also a great source of folate and magnesium, which are big contributors to heart health. Folate lowers your homocysteine levels, a serious risk factor for heart disease. Magnesium improves blood flow, oxygen and nutrients throughout the body. Low levels of magnesium have been directly associated with heart disease, so eating legumes will keep your heart happy!
3. Digestive Health – Insoluble dietary fiber found in split peas helps prevent constipation and other digestive disorders like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis.
4. Stabilized Blood Sugar – Adding to the many benefits of fiber, soluble fiber traps carbohydrates, slowing down digestion and stabilizing blood sugar levels. This can be especially helpful for those with diabetes, insulin resistance or hypoglycemia.
5. Good Protein – A single cup of cooked dried peas provides 65.1% of the recommended daily fiber, which makes them a wonderful source of protein for vegetarians and vegans.
6. Increases Energy – Legumes increase steady, slow-burning energy due its fiber and complex carbohydrates. They are also a good source of iron, which transports oxygen throughout your body and is key to energy production and metabolism.
7. Weight Loss – Although split peas include all these beneficial nutrients like fiber, protein, minerals and vitamins, they are still low in calories and contain virtually no fat. One cup of cooked split peas only contains about 230 calories, but still leaves you feeling full and satisfied.
Split peas make for a satisfying and delicious meal. For a super quick and easy fix, grab a pack of Gala’s Dehydrated Split Pea Soup, made mostly of red and green lentils, and enjoy this yumminess at the comfort of your home!